From Shattering the Glass Ceiling to Shattering the Hotel Floor: “Women Own the Room” Supports the Advancement of Women-Owned Hotels
Hospitality industry data shows that women are significantly underrepresented in hotel ownership, real estate and investment finance roles. Research by the Castell Project in 2021 found that while the hospitality industry is one of the most diverse, it lags behind when it comes to diversity in leadership positions and ownership. While women make up 70% of the tourism and hospitality workforce, they make up only 10% of hospitality development roles. Wyndham Hotels & Resorts is committed to gender diversity, women’s economic empowerment and the promotion of women entrepreneurs to level the playing field.
“Hospitality is one of the most diverse industries in the world and we should foster that diversity at the highest levels, including ownership,” said Lisa Checchio, Chief Marketing Officer, Wyndham Hotels & Resorts. “While the workforce in the tourism and hospitality industry is 70% female, only one woman enters hotel development for every 9.6 men. ‘Women own the room’ is specially designed to help overcome common barriers women face in hotel development and help them open and run their hotels.”
Women Own the Room is based on the following pillars:
- Offer complete financial solutions
- Improved capital support
- Reduced initial franchise fees
- Available for new construction and conversion projects
- Offer personalized and free operational advice and support
- Personalized support at the opening
- Top notch training
- Free services designed to help maximize revenue
- Establish an inclusive community for networking and education
- Event topics to include: Tips for getting funding
- Site selection and feasibility studies
- Success stories of women in hotel development
Wyndham’s new program aims to help nearly 50% of businesswomen who lack skilled advisors to guide them into entrepreneurship by connecting women interested in hospitality with established hotel developers who have successfully broken the mold. Additionally, the company offers a Development Incentive Program that provides meaningful Wyndham financing, upfront fee rebates, and free first-year operating services to support the success of hotels developed by women.
“I grew up in the hospitality industry and have been involved in all facets of hotel ownership, from development to divestitures. When I decided to own my own hotel, it was helpful to have access to the resources provided by Wyndham,” said Trusha Patel, Founder and CEO, Platinum Holdings. “With the support of Wyndham, I have the support of the largest hospitality company in the world behind me. This is an incredible opportunity to achieve my personal hospitality goals, and also an opportunity to inspire others women to achieve their entrepreneurial goals.”
Two New Dual Brand Hotels La Quinta and Hawthorn Suites
Ms Patel will open two dual-brand La Quinta and Hawthorn Suites hotels in the growing neighborhood Texas cities of Austin and georgetown. Each hotel will offer a total of 125 guest rooms, 75 of which will feature the newly refreshed room design of the sought-after La Quinta hotel. Del Sol prototype, and 50 will feature the updated Hawthorn Room design, including modern, well-equipped kitchens for extended stays. This combination of select services and long-term accommodations targets different types of travelers, bringing them together under one roof and enables Wyndham to provide options for travelers seeking extended stays, particularly in the mid-range area of growing range. Context of the new hotels:
- La Quinta and Hawthorn Suites Austin Airport — The hotel will be conveniently located less than one mile from Austin-Bergstrom International Airport, four miles from downtown Austin, and will be one of the closest hotels to Tesla’s new headquarters and Gigafactory. Shoppers can easily experience all the city has to offer, like local music and bites on 6th Street and Rainey Streetvisit the state capital of Texas, catch a concert at the Austin360 Amphitheater, see a performance at the Paramount Theater or visit the Circuit of Americas racing facility, home of the Formula 1 United States Grand Prix United, the World Road Race Championship and more.
- La Quinta and Hawthorn Suites Georgetown — Located 30 miles north of Austin along one of the power stations Texas’ major arteries, georgetown has experienced explosive growth over the past decade and transformed into an independent economic hub. The 3.3-acre hotel will be part of Longhorn Junction, the 190-acre mixed-use development, which will also host a brewery and a variety of restaurants and retail outlets. Hotel guests will be able to explore the destination seamlessly and can enjoy boat tours and fishing on Lake Georgetown during the warmer months.
“Members of ‘Women Own the Room’ will have access to the tools and support designed to help them succeed every step of the way, from signing and grand opening to welcoming their first guests. The program is designed to pave the way for women who want to make their mark in the hospitality industry,” said Ohlsson chipdirector of development, Wyndham Hotels & Resorts.
As a leading hospitality brand, Wyndham helps advance and champion diversity within the company and across the travel industry. Spanning multiple countries and continents, the Wyndham team members are an expansive group of individuals with diverse interests and backgrounds who all come together to drive one of the world’s most important hospitality organizations forward. For three consecutive years, the company has received a perfect score on the Human Rights Campaign’s Equality Index, naming Wyndham a better place to work too, as having been named by DiversityInc as an Outstanding Company for its commitment to diversity and inclusion.
To get involved and keep up to date with upcoming Women Own the Room events, visit www.womenowntheroombywyndham.com. Developers interested in collaborating with Wyndham can visit Wyndhamdevelopment.com or contact the Wyndham Franchise Development team by email at [email protected].
About Wyndham Hotels & Resorts
Wyndham Hotels & Resorts (NYSE: WH) is the world’s largest hotel franchise company by number of properties, with approximately 9,000 hotels in nearly 95 countries on six continents. With its network of approximately 803,000 rooms appealing to the everyday traveler, Wyndham provides a leading presence in the economy and midscale segments of the lodging industry. The Company operates a portfolio of 22 hotel brands, including Super 8®, Days Inn®, Ramada®, Microtel®, La Quinta®, Baymont®, Wingate®, AmericInn®, Hawthorn Suites®, Trademark Collection® and Wyndham®. Wyndham Hotels & Resorts is also a leading provider of hotel management services. The company’s award-winning Wyndham Rewards loyalty program offers more than 90 million registered members the ability to redeem points at thousands of hotels, resorts and vacation rentals worldwide. For more information, visit www.wyndhamhotels.com.
+1 (973) 753-6590
SOURCE Wyndham Hotels & Resorts