Storm-hit hotels and resorts close again

0

Barely starting to rebound with the easing of quarantine levels, a number of hotels in tourist destinations hit by the fury of Typhoon Odette have temporarily stopped accepting guests due to overcapacity, overpowering electrical and inadequate water and structural damage.

The 400-room Radisson Blu Cebu was one of the first hotels to announce that it is “currently unable to receive new bookings from today (December 18) until further notice, because the hotel is currently full “. Other hotels that have temporarily closed include Amorita Resort in Bohol and El Nido resorts in Palawan.

Air Asia Philippines, for its part, said some 3,000 passengers were stranded due to flight delays and cancellations following the closure of airports in Cebu, Tagbilaran and Puerto Princesa. Some 33,000 airline passengers of the national companies Philippine Airlines and Cebu Pacific have also been affected by the airport closures, including those of Siargao and Ozamiz. (See “National tourists stranded in Cebu, Siargao as Odette destroys airports”, in the BusinessMirror, December 19, 2021.)

In a statement, the Philippine Hotel Owners Association (PHOA) said Odette “has affected parts of Visayas and Mindanao where 30% of PHOA’s 308 member hotels are located.”

The group said it had not yet determined the full extent of the damage suffered by its member hotels, but was “leading efforts to ensure that its member hotels as well as other stakeholders who suffered of the calamity recover as soon as possible. . “

Local residents check in at hotels

Peggy Angeles, executive vice president of SM Hotels and Conventions Corp., which operates Radisson Blu Cebu, told BusinessMirror: “Before the typhoon, Radblu had quarantined guests, as well as some business travelers and those who had meetings. There were also banquets and social events. She added that the hotel had suffered damage and that some of their employees had been personally affected by the typhoon. “The hotel is very busy because of the local residents. “

But she stressed that the hotel will still honor reservations made earlier by arriving guests who are expected to be quarantined when Mactan Cebu International Airport (MCIA) reopens to international flights. “Rooms have been allocated to them,” she said. Fortunately, Angeles said, SMHCC’s other properties in Iloilo and Bacolod were spared.

On Panglao Island, Bohol, the Amorita Resort has temporarily stopped accepting guests “because the island’s fuel supply is dwindling and the water pressure is also quite low due to supplier facilities. public services were damaged by the storm, ”said resort general manager Leeds Trompeta.

He still did not have a final tally on the number of guests who would be affected by the suspension of reservations at the resort, “but we have asked guests to book around mid-January 2022.”

Some flights resume

For his part, Joey Bernardino, director of group sales and marketing at Ten Knots Development Corp., which manages the El Nido resorts of the Ayala group, said: “Our crisis management team prepared the resorts and organized the departure. anticipated from our customers so that only our employees were on the islands for Sicogon and El Nido. On Sicogon Island, Balai Kogon suffered minimal damage while Huni Sicogon was spared.

He added: “In El Nido, despite efforts to secure all areas, resorts still suffered damage due to strong winds and fallen trees. After a thorough assessment, most of the affected areas were repairable, but some areas need to be closed and will be treated. The resorts will have to close for a few days while we do maintenance. This will affect some arrivals, but we’re reopening for the next travel bubbles in December. “

He did not say how many guests would be affected by the temporary closures of resorts on Pangalusian Island, Lagen Island and Miniloc Island.

Meanwhile, Air Asia PH spokesman Steve Dailisan said, “So far we resumed our commercial flights to Caticlan (Boracay) yesterday to serve our guests stranded since the suspension of operations of the harbor pier. Today (December 19) we resumed our flights Manila-Cebu-Manila. We have also set up recovery flights to accommodate all of our stranded hoses in Cebu. However, we canceled our Puerto Princesa flight yesterday and today due to the airport closure notice.

Share.

Comments are closed.