Report: Carbon monoxide caused deaths at Sandals Emerald Bay: Travel Weekly

0

The three guests who died at Sandals Emerald Bay in the Bahamas on May 6 perished due to carbon monoxide poisoning, the Nassau Guardian reported.

The Guardian report said local authorities and Sandals were “staggered” over the exact cause of the carbon monoxide emissions.

Sandals, in a May 25 statement, said it was “an isolated incident in a self-contained structure that housed two individual bedrooms and was in no way related to the air conditioning system, food service, landscaping services or criminal act of the complex”.

Sandals said it had “engaged environmental safety experts for a comprehensive review of all resort systems.” Sandals also said that carbon monoxide detectors have been placed in all rooms at Sandals Emerald Bay, and that detectors will be installed in rooms at all of its resorts “although this is not mandatory at any Caribbean destination where we let’s operate”.

The three Americans who died included travel advisers Michael Phillips, 68, and his wife Robbie, 65, who owned Royal Travel in Maryville, Tenn.

The third victim was Vincent Paul Chiarella, 64, a resident of Florida. His wife, Donnis, was airlifted to a Miami hospital. She has since recovered and been discharged from hospital.

Sandals said he “remains devastated by the unimaginable event that resulted in the loss of three lives, including two members of our beloved travel advisor community, and the recovery of a fourth guest. We once again express our deepest condolences and heartfelt condolences to the Phillips and Chiarella families.”

Robbie and Michael Phillips had been sending clients to Sandals resorts for years. In 2019, Sandals presented Robbie with the Outstanding Sales Achievement Award for Destination Weddings and the Chairman’s Award, given annually to an agent in the United States who consistently embodies and represents the Sandals brand.

Colleagues mourned their deaths on social media.

The four guests had gone to a local clinic the day before their bodies were found, complaining of feeling unwell. They were treated and brought back to the resort. Their bodies were discovered the following morning.

Samples taken from the victims were sent to a laboratory in Philadelphia. Autopsy and toxicology reports have been completed, although the families of the victims have requested a private pathologist to carry out independent autopsies in addition to that performed by a Bahamian pathologist, according to Dr. Michael Darville, Minister of Health. Bahamas Health.

Share.

Comments are closed.