Austria prepares to welcome ski championship fans

0

Pictured: DoubleTree by Hilton Arlberg.

Two major World Ski Championships will take place in Austria over the next few years, with hotel chains preparing to welcome international participants to a series of new hotels.

According to the TOPHOTELPROJECTS database, at least 59 premium properties will appear in the Central European country over the next few years.

Double skis

Austria is expected to welcome tens of thousands of visitors for the 2024 Ski Flying World Championships in Bad Mitterndorf and the 2025 Alpine Skiing World Championships in Saalbach, in the center and west of the country, respectively.

Prior to that, more than 8,000 hotel rooms will be added to the country’s portfolio to help manage event accommodation demands.

city ​​pickers

Five properties are due to launch in Bad Gastein, just an hour from Saalbach, while three more will open in the more northerly town of Linz, less than a two-hour drive from the facilities in Bad Mitterndorf.

However, it is the tourist hub of the capital Vienna that still carves out the lion’s share of new developments, with another 22 hotels planned.

High-end new constructions

About 64% or 38 of these upcoming hotels are upscale four-star sites, with the remaining 36%/21 properties in the five-star luxury category. 44% of the total, or 26 projects, are new builds, while there are 14 properties in the renovation and conversion categories, accounting for 24% each. The remaining five projects are expansions.

The pipeline will peak in 2023 with 19 completions, with eight more to be delivered before the end of this year and another eight in 2024. The remaining 24 hotels have yet to be scheduled or are due for delivery in 2025 and beyond.

Road to independence

The vast majority of projects are independent hotels, but a few large groups are emerging in Austria, including Radisson Hotel Group, with three properties through its Radisson Hotels & Resorts and Radisson Red brands, three for Travel Charme Hotels & Resorts and another trio. for Hilton Worldwide.

One of the latter group’s ski chalets is DoubleTree by Hilton Arlberg, which will feature 137 elegant rooms furnished with natural materials, two restaurants with top international chefs, a 1,000 m² indoor wellness area with steam room, sauna and infrared cabins and a panorama swimming pool with heated loungers and breathtaking views of the mountain peaks of the Bregenz Forest region. It is expected to open in the second quarter of 2023.

Another major national project is Mandarin Oriental Vienna which will transform a former courthouse into a luxury hotel, combining its cultural heritage with innovation and setting new architectural and hotel standards for the 21st century in Austria. The 151-room property is expected to open in the first quarter of 2023.

Share.

Comments are closed.